Blueberries are in season at The Nelson Market. Small but mighty, bursting with goodness and flavor, they make a delightful addition to your summer fare. Packed with antioxidants and vitamins, these little blue gems offer a sweet and tangy burst with every bite. Not only do they contribute to heart health and boost your immune system, but they also add a pop of color to your plate.
For a delicious summer dessert to complement your BBQs, try making Blueberry Lemon Bars. Pick up some Blueberries from the Market this Saturday and combine zesty lemon and plump blueberries for a refreshing treat that’s both sweet and tart.
Here’s a simple recipe to tantalize your taste buds:
Blueberry Lemon Bars:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, butter, and powdered sugar to form a crumbly mixture. Press it into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, whisk together granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the blueberry mixture over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden and the center is set.
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
These Blueberry Lemon Bars are a delightful way to end your summer BBQ on a sweet note, combining the goodness of blueberries with the zing of citrus for a treat that captures the essence of the season.