THE MARKET STORY
The Nelson Market is recognised throughout New Zealand and the world, for its fine produce and quality artistry. Every Saturday morning for more than 40 years, Nelson Market owner Nita Knight has welcomed visitors to discover a unique creative showcase. Shop for fresh produce or gourmet foods and share brunch under the warm Nelson sun.
The Nelson Market is a mission-driven, non-political business.
Our focus is on:
- Enabling people to achieve satisfying lifestyles through nurturing their creativity, sharing their passion and skills.
- Providing a platform to launch small business ideas, many of which have grown into flourishing national success stories.
- Promoting buying local and supporting regional businesses, arts, and crafts.
- We aim to be an eco-friendly plastic-free zone.
- We support worthy charities and causes that advance the quality of life for local Nelson people and all New Zealanders.
In 2018 Nita Knight received a New Zealand Order of Merit citation for her contribution to the Nelson region and its businesses – Read more.
Nelson Market Owner and CEO since 1978
Shown with world flame.
Sunday Market Operations Manager
In the late 1970’s Market proprietor Nita Knight arrived in Nelson from Auckland on holiday. Coming from the airport into the city centre, via Haven Road, she was impressed by the sea views, quality of air and light she quickly determined that this would be a lasting love affair. The rest as they say is history.
Nita started the Nelson Market in 1978 at Millers Acre next to the Maitai river.
Initially a market trial for a month with over 60 stalls proved so popular that Nelson City Council agreed to continue for a further 6 months, then 18 months and finally issued a licence for 3 years.
Eventually the Nelson Flea Market (as it was known then), moved to Montgomery Square to accommodate the growing number of stalls showing interest in selling at the market. So sought after were the spaces that regular stall holders began to arrive at 2am to secure their favourite spot.
CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AWARD
Since then the Nelson Market has flourished and now in its 42nd year, welcomes visitors from all over New Zealand the world.
Early days at the market, Millers Acre – Nita Knight on left.