Savour this sweet treat for a weekend pick me up.
Ingredients / Shopping List
1 container cream cheese
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
2 teaspoons honey bought fresh from the Nelson Market
Pinch of salt
1 loaf sweet bread, such as Brioche or fruit loaf
3 tablespoon softened unsalted butter, divided
2 large Nelson Market apples, cored and sliced thin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Combine the cream cheese, thyme, honey** market and a small pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside.
**many delicious honey choices at the Nelson Market!!
2. Slice the bread into 6 or 8 one-inch slices, depending on the size of your loaf and how many servings you are making.
Reserve any leftover bread for another use.
3. Using 2 tablespoons of butter, spread it evenly on one side of each slice of bread.
4. Preheat a large skillet on medium heat. Place the slices of bread, butter side down, on the griddle.
Grill the bread until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes.
Flip the slices over and grill on the dry side another 5 minutes.
Transfer the bread to a serving platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm and set aside.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet, preferably non-stick, over medium heat.
When the butter starts to foam, carefully add the apple slices.
Sauté until the apples begin to turn brown, about 15 minutes.
Sprinkle the brown sugar over the apples and continue sautéing until the sugar has melted and the apples are golden brown and glossy another 5-10 minutes.